 Organizations / 861
Re: Best trailer size (was Re: Event kit update and request for data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:15:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Hey, I just reported what people in the club asked for! ... me, I think 6x14
would be better.

I don't know, we have a hard enough time getting our little 5x8 trailer in and
out of some of the exhibit halls we do shows in. I'm guessing a 14' trailer
would be quite a chore to manuver through a hall crowded with trucks and
trailers.

Are you sure it's not the driver that's the cause of the trouble? I've seen you
drive, you know...

Actually, your point is well taken.

But most of the shows we do so far haven't had drive in access anyway, except
for all the Novi shows we do. And that expo hall tends to be so big (depending
on the section we're in) that it is not that much of an issue. Many of the other
exhibitors (dealers and traditional clubs) have 12s and 14s... Yes, maneuvering
can be fun if you're not careful.

We've just come around to thinking that a double axle is where we need to be.,
capacity wise, if and when. But we're not really sure.

Good points. One of the considerations is what exactly do you plan on hauling in
the trailer. We (NGLTC) keep just show related stuff (tables, plexiglass, track,
play table stuff, skirts, misc.). All of the trains and MOCs don't go in the
trailer.

Another thing to think of is where will the trailer live when not being used? If
you get a big one make sure you have someone where it can live when not being
hauled. Also you have to make sure that someone has a truck that can haul it,
don't want to get something so big it can't be pulled.

I like how the GMLTC has rolling racks in their trailer, so driving into the
exhibit hall isn't much of an issue just as long as they have access to roll in
their carts.

80% of our shows have drive in access and it's a mad rush to get in when the
doors open. Most of the time there is a police officer trying to direct the
madness but the trick is to get in before another layout or vendor blocks your
path. There is very limited turn around room at these events so we have to
either back the trailer in, or back it out, and that can be tricky with a short
trailer.

Currently the 5x8 trailer I have works great for our club needs, we have room
for more tables and pretty much everything else we store in there. I wouldn't go
any smaller than what we have.

jt