 Organizations / 619
Re: Collective Group Resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:57:14 GMT

NELUG has an extensive group collection.  We own road and base plates, tons
of track, hundreds of trees, tables, skirts, tools (like ratchets and
wrenches) as well as power strips and power cords.  But NELUG also owns its
own reference library of instructions and a handful of books (about trains
and tanks, etc.) and tens of thousands of bricks.  Where do we keep all this
stuff?  Well, we used to have members volunteer to hold on to different
things, but that did become problematic.  So, NELUG bought its own trailer.
Everything lives in the trailer which is currently kept at one of the
founding member's house
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=556752).  We can now lug
(no pun intended!) everything to wherever it needs to go quite easily.

How did we buy all of this stuff?  Just as Larry said, we did events that
people paid for.  NELUG has done nearly a dozen "official" train shows (like
Greenberg and NETCA) which pay small amounts of money.  NELUG has also done
large non-train events for MasterCard UK and the Boston Home Show which is
how we acquired 90% of our brick collection and made some real money.  What
is important is that NELUG doesn't reimburse people for parking and
such...well, okay, once, but that was because that was the agreement that we
had with the venue.  Our attitude is, go because you want to participate or
just have some fun, don't go if paying for parking, etc. is going to cause
problems for you.  As a result, all of the proceeds go to the club and we
all get a chance to benefit from it.

What I will say is that we have yet to fully figure out our club brick
situation.  In other words, people actively sort and grow their own
collections based on what they like to do.  We currently don't have a good
way to do this in our club context...our collection grows simply based on
the leftover results of some project.  As a result, it isn't managed the way
an individual would manage his or her own collection.  The good news is that
we make small amounts of progress on how to handle this over time and when
we do our own club project, like the Quarry
(http://www.peeron.com/pics/nelug/RoadShow-20030713/?pic=mov02119.mpg), we
have considerable resources available for our use which lets us do things
that would be just too cumbersome to do with a bunch of individual
collections...can you imagine how many individuals would have had to
contribute gray brick to build the Quarry's cliffs?  It would have been a
huge pain.

I can remember when NELUG just started and the issues surrounding *not*
having group resources.  While it does take some time (and consternation) to
setup guidelines and for the club to adopt whatever attitude it decides upon
regarding its collection, personally, I think it is worth every bit of it.
It seems to emphasize the "G" in LUG or the "C" in LTC.

- Joe