 Organizations / 613
Re: Collective Group Resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:34:33 GMT

"Jude Beaudin" <shiningblade@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:HnHvy2.99u@lugnet.com...
During a recent meeting here in Ottawa, the topic of acquiring group parts • like
baseplates and track came up. Being a member of two groups that have • everyone
contribute what they can for shows, I really don't see much benefit in • doing
this.

I would like to be fair to my fellow members and ask that those of you who • have
collective resources give reasons for it, as well as how you overcame • challenges
such as storage, access to parts, etc... Basically, I would like you to • try
convince me to do it.

Thanks for your input,

Jude

FUT .org

Collectively NCLTC (North Carolina LEGO Train Club) owns a case of straight
train track.  When we did our first show we needed a bunch of track, far
more than any of the initial exhibitors owned individually or collectively.
Several of us chipped in and purchased a case of track (48 boxes) which
would become part of the club property.  The tables, skirts, plexiglass,
etc. are all club property in effect.

We have been fortuanate that we have a few members who have been willing to
front the funds necessary to purchase some of these things and we have "won"
a few dollars from GATS and the like which allowed us to "reimburse"
members.  We don't do detailed bookkeeping by any means.  Access to the
stuff in between shows is pretty much of a non-issue.

Other than the track, it is hard to imagine a need for any of it but if
someone needed track for something we could probably find a way to work it
out.  As for storage, the track is stored on a shelf in my garage along with
the Event Kit stuff and the K8 we received from LEGO years ago.  It just
sits there until our next show.

I have aspirations to try and cover our entire layout in studs which will
likely mean an investment in green baseplates soon.  We'll probably label
them with a sticker on the back so they don't get mixed up with member's
personal items and then store them in a box along with the rest of the
layout stuff.

It is hard for me to imagine a club owning a collection of bricks without
some sort of clubhouse where the bricks would reside.  Logistically I think
that would be hard.  Infrastructure stuff is easier to manage than regular
building elements.

My $0.02, I am sure other clubs have similar and completely different
thoughts and ideas.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com