 Organizations / 579
Re: Help on Starting a LUG at a University
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:33:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andrew Saada wrote:

   Hey, how you been? Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we have some key bulletin board spots but I’ll have to investigate some more to make sure none are overlooked. I know once a flyer is approved it can be posted on/at any designated area. I’m wondering if posting a couple on each dorm floor would be pushing it?

That might be pushing it, but posting in each dorm’s lobby is probbably not.

   As for LEGO fans, no one I knew in my year and a half here (I was back in NJ last semester) had brick on them. ;-( I didn’t bring any of mine freshman year because I was afraid it would be lifted or something and last year I didn’t consider it (silly me). However, I know my past roommate (and closest friend) is an AFOL at heart, as are probably many architects. This year I have in tow the ISD I picked up at the Outlet but it’s still unopened (I just showed it to a suitemate and he was like “Dang. I’ve never seen anything like that in stores.”)

My freshman year I took a good assortment of MOCs and sets, and lots of minifigs to adorn my desk. People would come into my room just to play with the stuff, it was fun. I also had my MIBO dog still together then - people would travel from afar (across campus) to see him in action! It was fun, I didn’t hide my love for the brick, and by that I met a few people who were interested.

Once, I ran into Steve Hickman (you can see his posts in space from time to time) without knowing it was him! He was in town to visit a girl who went to my school who he’s friends with back home. She introduced me to him, turned out he was all up on LUGNET, LDraw, and the like. I stole him from her for the five days he was there and we built and sketched spaceships the rest of the time :-)

Todd came up to visit that weekend too, and the three of us built a mad scientist lab with pneumatics and Jar-Jar torture. Sorry, pics of it were lost unfortunately :-(

Sorry, I just got rambling with my campus LEGO experiences, now about yours... :-)

   Word-of-mouth sounds good (bad pun intended). I would like to contribute to a student art show...I guess I’ll have to test my use of plates...maybe I can do some minimalistic architecture ala Mies van der Rohe.

Cool! Or, just submit stuff you’ve already built! The HULK model would be a start, I’m sure they’d allow it in a gallery (unless they were trying to go for a certain theme). PCS stuff (if you’ve built any, I forget...) could be science fiction art, etc etc. Of course, don’t let that stop you from doing minimalist architecture, but just don’t think that’s what you have to do to get in :-) (or maybe I don’t know this gallery...)

   Also, as far as naming clubs go, I’ve grown tired of the acronym “LUG.” I don’t “use” LEGO, I play with it (thankyouverymuch).
AMEN.

   So, perhaps Washington University LEGO Builders? :-) (but WULB doesn’t make
   a good acronym)
Yeah and that same suitemate thought WULUG was catchy enough to grab attention on an 8 1/2 x 11 poster.

That sounds like it could easily be a rap club, the WU-tang Lyrics Users Group (so sorry about that one, just had to!) :-)

   I’ll try to brainstorm some more though.

:-)

-Tim