 General / 43088
Re: Help on Starting a LUG at a University
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Ellermann wrote:
   Hi Andrew,

I did not know that you were at Wash U. Cool. I was a Saint Louis native, although I have been living in Illinois for 10 years now. (My Mom lives about 3 blocks from your campus) I am actually forming a Registered Student Organization at my college:

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign LEGO Club - UIUCLC

Several of my friends and I plan to meet once a month to discuss and build. We are getting an event kit to use from Jake. I would register your organization, get a website, grab your friends, and place an ad in the student newspaper. I still need to do some of that stuff. Plus certain programs, like engineering use mindstorms, and would probably like to join. I am president of another organization and hope to do similar advertising to start the LEGO Club.

I think working with the Gateway Lug and road show would be a good idea for you. I might try to attend the STL one. Feel free to email me if you have any questions - I think we are the first ones trying to form University LEGO Clubs.

Good Luck.

Ben,

St. Louis represent! Anywho, thanks for the reply. I’ve probably run into your mom at Schnucks or Bread Co. at some point (pumpkin muffins...yummmm).
Meeting with friends to discuss building ideas sounds good but I didn’t know of anyone who brought some of their collection with them during my first two years here. I have an ISD with me this time around (silly pillows took up precious LEGO plastic storage space). I guess we could agree on investing in some Make & Create and/or Designer kits or just work on learning MLCAD. I definitely would like an event kit. Placing an ad in the school paper is also a good idea. I asked a suitemate just before about any ideas - I had not told him about it yet - and he sounded excited about the club and liked the name WULUG. I guess anything without WUSTL written out completely is a plus! I see your school isn’t easy to work with but at you managed a double palindrome.

It would be cool if you could attend the Roadshow. At the first meeting I will bring up Gateway LUG and the upcoming event.

Alright, let me know how things go.

-Andrew