 Organizations / 578
Re: Help on Starting a LUG at a University
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:35:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Hi Andrew - Good question. Does your school have bulletin boards where students can post news about books they’re selling, concerts, and the like? That would be an appropriate place for information.

I lived in a dorm my freshman year and everyone knew I was into LEGO. There were several closet fans on campus who would visit me and talk shop, and one even went to NELUG functions with me but didn’t get involved himself. I didn’t start a club there, but it was a small campus (1500) so I don’t think it had the critical mass.

I suggest putting up flyers and also using word-of-mouth. Maybe even try to get some of your models displayed in a school art gallery as sculptures - nothing brings people out of the woodwork like seeing models actually displayed, I’ve found.

Tim,

Hey, how you been? Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we have some key bulletin board spots but I’ll have to investigate some more to make sure none are overlooked. I know once a flyer is approved it can be posted on/at any designated area. I’m wondering if posting a couple on each dorm floor would be pushing it?

As for LEGO fans, no one I knew in my year and a half here (I was back in NJ last semester) had brick on them. ;-( I didn’t bring any of mine freshman year because I was afraid it would be lifted or something and last year I didn’t consider it (silly me). However, I know my past roommate (and closest friend) is an AFOL at heart, as are probably many architects. This year I have in tow the ISD I picked up at the Outlet but it’s still unopened (I just showed it to a suitemate and he was like “Dang. I’ve never seen anything like that in stores.”)

Word-of-mouth sounds good (bad pun intended). I would like to contribute to a student art show...I guess I’ll have to test my use of plates...maybe I can do some minimalistic architecture ala Mies van der Rohe.

   Also, as far as naming clubs go, I’ve grown tired of the acronym “LUG.” I don’t “use” LEGO, I play with it (thankyouverymuch).
AMEN.

   So, perhaps Washington University LEGO Builders? :-) (but WULB doesn’t make > a good acronym)
Yeah and that same suitemate thought WULUG was catchy enough to grab attention on an 8 1/2 x 11 poster.

I’ll try to brainstorm some more though.

-Andrew