 Organizations / 194
Re: Loc.s of LUGs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 18:49:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.org, Eric Joslin writes:
Maybe someone should register LUGWorld.  And by someone I mean Lego.

[...] a site that directs people to local clubs... that seems to me
to be something Lego should do.

That said, maybe the best thing to do would be to put it on Lugnet somewhere?
Or at least just link to it?  Then it could stay buried on the NELUG page if
necessary.  I don't think people are any more or less likely to find it that
way (linked from/hosted on Lugnet) than they are if it's got its own domain.

eric

FYI - Todd checked and LUGWorld is already taken.  So the best thing to do
would probably be to remove the term LUGWorld all together and just make it a
generic Map directory.

I think a 2-D map of LUG communities belongs with the fans who are actively
involved. Here it has the benefit of such things as automatic updating and
multi-user administration. Here clubs can act with a tremendous amount of
freedom. And more traffic of the sort that would use such a map will encounter
it on LUGNET. LUGNET is, afterall a Network of LEGO User Groups.

I agree with Suz totally on this one.  Actually she and Todd have already moved
the maps over to LUGNET.

http://www.lugnet.com/map/

We are still trying to work out the best way to keep this updated but for now
the copy from NELUG to LUGNET will be on an as needed basis I would guess.

As I mentioned to Todd and Suz my priorities for this are first to get the
LTC's, Canada, and Europe up and running as that will get the highest
percentage of LEGO groups first.  Then I want to refine the formating of the
pages as well as add something for Asia and Australia/Oceania because they seem
to be the next logical areas of wide spread LEGO fandom.  Actually I think
there is one LEGO group in Japan already but I can't remember at the moment and
I know there was talk of a LEGOZ at one point.

Once all that is done it should just be a matter of tweaking regions adding new
groups and adding layers to maps where needed.

I think having it hosted here on LUGNET is great because then each group can
link to the map from their site which is more logical than linking to the
images on the NELUG site.

As for TLC, it seems more natural for their FIRST LEGO Leagues to have their
own MapQuest-like directory someday.

That would be cool and logical when that happens but as we have for a few years
now we just have to do things as a community and not rely on anyone else to do
it for us.  Thats what makes this community so great is that it is
self-supporting and is not reliant on any larger entity to keep it going.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View my Creations at: