 Off-Topic / Geek / 815
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeff Thompson writes:

In the "too-easy" category, RAH usually gets props for
Stranger in a Strange Land - I'd like to hear another
choice.  Go for it, Lar.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is beter. I think it originated (or developed to
a much greater degree) several neat topics, including magnetic catapults,
kinetic weapons, and a computer that becomes self aware spontaneously and
makes his presence known by playing practical jokes. But Stranger is an
awesome book. More widely known, that's for sure.

Authors not on your list, with works I would list as canon

Varley:  "Steel Beach"

Really? I am reading Golden Globe right now, apparently set in the same
milleu, and I read Steel Beach, didn't care for it much. Why is it his best?
Why is he considered good, for that matter? I read the Gaia trilogy, thought
they were just weird. Millenium was terrible.

Farmer:  "To Your Scattered Bodies Go"

That man is a total hack. Neat idea, though.

Robinson: "Time Pressure"

I don't know that one, are we talking about Kim or Spider? I like them both
but would not elevate either to the 20 best.

(Where is my class? Too long break for lunch??)
++Lar