 Off-Topic / Geek / 819
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:38:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is beter. I think it originated (or developed to
a much greater degree) several neat topics, including magnetic catapults,
kinetic weapons, and a computer that becomes self aware spontaneously and
makes his presence known by playing practical jokes. But Stranger is an
awesome book. More widely known, that's for sure.
I agree- my favorite author and onr of my favorite of his books. It seems that
early on he was more about hard sf and moved later into social questions. I
really liked "To Sail Beyond the Sunset"- he actually has a father sleep with
his daughter and makes it believable and not at all wrong, gross or immoral.
Kinda like in Stranger where they all eat Mike at the end and it seems like a
good idea.
Farmer:  "To Your Scattered Bodies Go"

That man is a total hack. Neat idea, though.

I have to disagree- he ties with Niven for second favorite. Like Zelazny
(spelling?)- he gets right into the action. LOTS of neat ideas- Day World, the
world of tiers, Father Carmody, etc.

++Lar

The best SF book I ever read tho is "Flat Stanley" by Jeff Brown. It is the
story of a young boy whose bulletin board falls on him while sleeping making
him completely flat, but otherwise unharmed. Under 40 pages and illustrated
too! ;)

Chris