 Off-Topic / Geek / 806
805  |  807
Subject:
Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:44:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ben Olmstead writes:

1 - Larry Niven, arguably the best SF author ever.  Discounting Clarke,
Card, Gibson, Herbert, Asimov, Adams, and Stephensen, who are also all
arguably the best SF author ever (well, I despise Gibson, but hey).
Wrote hard Sci-Fi, though--he based pretty much everything in science
fact.

I smell a fun geek topic.  Best books by these authors?

I would submit:

"Rendezvous with Rama" as Clarke's best work.

"Ender's Game" as Card's.

Either "Dune" (the obvious choice) or "God Emperor of Dune"
for Herbert.

"The Mote In God's Eye" by Niven (and Pournelle).  (Argue with
me about this one, if you please, Ben =)

I can't pick a "best" by Asimov (the too-easy choice: Foundation)
or the others on your list.

In the "too-easy" category, RAH usually gets props for
Stranger in a Strange Land - I'd like to hear another
choice.  Go for it, Lar.

Authors not on your list, with works I would list as canon

Varley:  "Steel Beach"
Farmer:  "To Your Scattered Bodies Go"
Robinson: "Time Pressure"

--