 Off-Topic / Geek / 810
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:09:41 GMT

Nephilim wrote:
I would submit:
"Rendezvous with Rama" as Clarke's best work.

Agreed.  I read this in one night when I was 15.  Couldn't put the dang book
down.

"Ender's Game" as Card's.

_The Worthing Saga_ might be a close second, though it's an collection and not
technically a "book" per se.  And then there's _Folk on the Fringe_, but that
one's pretty specific to Mormon culture.

Either "Dune" (the obvious choice) or "God Emperor of Dune"
for Herbert.

Definitely _Dune_.  The storyline in God Emperor was pretty much
one-dimensional.

"The Mote In God's Eye" by Niven (and Pournelle).  (Argue with
me about this one, if you please, Ben =)

Again, I would nominate a close second, with _Legacy of Heorot_ (N+W with
Stephen Barnes).

I can't pick a "best" by Asimov (the too-easy choice: Foundation)
or the others on your list.

_The Caves of Steel_.

In the "too-easy" category, RAH usually gets props for
Stranger in a Strange Land - I'd like to hear another
choice.  Go for it, Lar.

_Children of the Sky_.  Oops, sorry, now go ahead, Lar.  :-,

Authors not on your list, with works I would list as canon

Varley:  "Steel Beach"
Farmer:  "To Your Scattered Bodies Go"
Robinson: "Time Pressure"

Anne McCaffery: _White Dragon_.

Ray Bradbury: _Martian Chronicles_, or possibly _Illustrated Man_ (another
collection).

Dan Simmons: _Hyperion_ followed by _Fall of Hyperion_.  Damn good sequel.
Avoid the next two, though.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"Hello.  My name is Jeremy, and I'm a...a brick chewer."
  (in unison) "Hi, Jeremy."