 Off-Topic / Geek / 816
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:40:52 GMT

Nephilim wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ben Olmstead writes:

1 - Larry Niven, arguably the best SF author ever.  Discounting
Clarke, Card, Gibson, Herbert, Asimov, Adams, and Stephensen, who are
also all arguably the best SF author ever (well, I despise Gibson,
but hey).  Wrote hard Sci-Fi, though--he based pretty much everything
in science fact.

I smell a fun geek topic.  Best books by these authors?

I would submit:

"Rendezvous with Rama" as Clarke's best work.

Haven't read it, actually, so no opinion.

"Ender's Game" as Card's.

Of the Card books I've read: definitely.

Either "Dune" (the obvious choice) or "God Emperor of Dune"
for Herbert.

Either _Dune_ or _The Dosadi Experiment_, in my opinion.  (Yes, Herbert
did write some non-Dune-series books.  Most of them were _really_ bad.)

"The Mote In God's Eye" by Niven (and Pournelle).  (Argue with
me about this one, if you please, Ben =)

I haven't read it.  Of the Niven books I *have* read, I'd rate, mmmm...
oh, any of them.  They're all good.

I can't pick a "best" by Asimov (the too-easy choice: Foundation)
or the others on your list.

I prefer the Robots series.

Neal Stephenson: Either _Snow Crash_ or _The Diamond Age_.  These two
are my favorite books _ever_, so don't knock 'em. ;-)

Gibson: Should have gotten even a vague clue about computers before he
ever started writing.  This is probably what makes Gibson a _really
horrible_ author (IMHO) and Stephenson a _really awesome_ writer.  But
that's just my opinion.  (And, of course, I've still got signed copies
of Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive...)

In the "too-easy" category, RAH usually gets props for
Stranger in a Strange Land - I'd like to hear another
choice.  Go for it, Lar.

Gods, I really didn't like SIASL.  The only Heinlein book I didn't like.
I think I like _Job: A Comedy of Justice_ best.

Authors not on your list, with works I would list as canon

Varley:  "Steel Beach"
Farmer:  "To Your Scattered Bodies Go"
Robinson: "Time Pressure"

I honestly haven't read any of these authors (yes, yes, deprived I am,
hmm?).

--
                                          Ben Olmstead/BEM
                                          <bem@mad.scientist.com>