 Off-Topic / Geek / 529
Re: The Nugator Company Update - LEGO piece and set sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:20:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Matthew Miller writes:
David Eaton <wpieaton@wpi.edu> wrote:
Low costs is right! The going rate for graphic design is something like
$80-$150 an hour... a friend of mine doing free-lance graphics charged $40 an
hour... But maybe you're offering different kinds of graphics? Most

I think that it's because they can churn out pages in FrontPage such that at
$25/page they _are_ charging $80-150/hour. :)

For web pages, :) yep. You can pump pages out a lot faster with Front Page than
coding by hand... The pricing they list for web pages is probably pretty
reasonable given that they're probably wanting to do people's home pages,
etc., rather than a business's set of pages.

Actually, I don't really know what the going rate is for *web page* design
(that's what Front Page does)... but most professional style *graphics* design
takes quite a bit of time... a good graphic can cost a couple hundred dollars,
depending on how complex you want it, and who you go to. If you want a ray
traced animated gif of a complex latticework with your company's logo's shadow
draped on the lattice as the lattice bends in different ways or something
insane like that, it can take *lots* of time... especially if your customers
are really picky. I'd guess that what Nugator is offering is more of a personal
thing. If you want a graphic of an explosion with particular text in it or
something for your homepage, and you've been looking everywhere from some free
images, but can't find what you want, you call them.  Most of these types of
things can be done fairly easily with more simple graphics packages, and don't
take much time to do... Hence, they don't need to cost much.  But for the
super-fancy stuff, several hundred dollars isn't too much to pay for a
graphic...

DaveE