 Off-Topic / Geek / 5170
Re: Smallest cube ever!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:13:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jean-Marc Nimal wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Timothy Gould wrote:

(snip)

   Of course this should be all non-integer cubes are impossible...

Tim

I’m not so sure about that... If I understand correctly, the main issue here is to produce a flat square surface with a non-integer number of studs as side, right?

Because that is certainly possible, taking inspiration of Jason Alleman (http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=3255) and using panel pieces:

Which is half a plate smaller than a 5-stud square. Of course to make a full flat cube out of that, you’d need to built 6 of these, some kind of cubic frame around it, and make sure everything is properly held in place together...

Let’s say that part is left as exercise for the reader (that’s a fancy way to say I’m too lazy to do it myself, plus there’s a chance I’m horribly wrong)

Jean-Marc

It’s still an integer number of plates (which was my condition).

Tim

Although it would appear my terminology disagreed with my maths ;) So you are right in your reading and I am wrong in my concept but not my principal.

So to keep the terminology the same just replace all 5s by 2s and the rest remains the same. (it would appear I forgot that panels have an area of K+L/25 where K and L are integers).

Tim