 Off-Topic / Geek / 5010
Re: password management
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:44:13 GMT

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:11:15PM +0000, Ross Crawford wrote:
I just have 3 or 4 each of what I consider "strong" and "weak"
passwords. I use a randomly selected password from the appropriate
list for each site[1], and sites with "strong" passwords get changed
(to another on the list) fairly regularly. That way, I know I only
have a few passwords to try at each site, and I don't have to record
any passwords, only a list of sites. Of course it's a hassle if I
think one of my passwords has been compromised, but that has only ever
happened once, so I'm reasonably happy with the system so far.

That's kind of what I do - except that I started now using site specific
strong passwords using a pretty cool mozilla extension (which even plans
for what to do when you're not on your own browser!) -

  https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=469

All my passwords are based on non-words, but easily pronouncable (thus
easily remembered), my strong passwords all have combinations of
letters, numbers and punctuation.

My strong passwords are acutally generated by a random password
generator - truly random, I just have it generate 10 or so, and pick one
that I can remember.  I also write it down in a GPG encrypted file.
After a few days, I delete that file, since I sure that I can remember
it by then.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com