 Off-Topic / Geek / 5009
Re: password management
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:11:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
It's time to revamp how I manage my passwords. I have a scheme now for
generating different passwords for different sites but there are just too many.

[snip]

What do other people do? Surely you don't all use the same password for
everything? My manual scheme (which I am not going to describe but it does
result in different passwords) is breaking down, too many sites.

I just have 3 or 4 each of what I consider "strong" and "weak" passwords. I use
a randomly selected password from the appropriate list for each site[1], and
sites with "strong" passwords get changed (to another on the list) fairly
regularly. That way, I know I only have a few passwords to try at each site, and
I don't have to record any passwords, only a list of sites. Of course it's a
hassle if I think one of my passwords has been compromised, but that has only
ever happened once, so I'm reasonably happy with the system so far.

All my passwords are based on non-words, but easily pronouncable (thus easily
remembered), my strong passwords all have combinations of letters, numbers and
punctuation.

1 - eg, Lugnet uses a "weak" password, "strong" password for Paypal, only use
"strong" passwords on sites with secure login.

ROSCO