 Off-Topic / Geek / 4836
  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

I'm supprised about this too, but from a little different standingpoint: I don't think humans have any future on the battlefield, because everything will happen so much faster than today: Why should you use something as demanding and confused as a (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I agree with this part... (...) I am assuming that a tank would not go from its rear area yard/base (on another continent) to the combat zone under its own power, even a hovertank. So I guess I don't see why tanks need to hover. As someone (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I think this would depend on the efficacy of the hover mechanism. Depending on the technology involved, it could be faster then a tank with treads running on the same sort of power source would be (there's alot of mass in tank treads, and (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) Humans will always have a place on the battlefield, if for only two reasons. Aircraft have proven capable of instigating conflict and presenting a solid first wave of defense, but the only way to hold territory is to maintain pressence there. (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) If military history has shown us anything, it's that nothing is immune to landmines if it moves. It's just a matter of developing a landmine that's capable of being triggered by a hover tank (and trust me, if hover tanks happen, someone will (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) They do. It's called AAAV-7. Done with a AFV already. Not Hover, but SES on the water, tracks on land. (...) I'd suggest reading "Hammers Slammers" by David Drake. He's ex armor, has lots of neat ideas and cool fighting scenes. Imagine hover (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) Yup and that's the difference of perspective, I talked about: You can't expect to have that kind of airsuperiority as it is now (unless you're an American), and if we're talking about aliens, well, space superiorty pretty much eats (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) With a particular hostile environment like a planet uninhabitable by humans, infested with nanorobots designed to gnaw off skinn or armour (or other ABCN-weapons), or swarms of assasinationdrones, in urban theaters, think Mogadisho. I don't (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I agree on the fact that, no groundforces are immune to mines, but regarding treaties, they only survive as long as politicians back them up and with regarding the mines, sorry, the bad guys still have them and won’t sign any treaty so they're (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) Well, the nations that are most likely to be able to develop hover tanks are also the nations that are most likely to be able to develop anti-HT mines. Generally, they're also the same countries that will sign arms reduction treaties. Granted, (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) As far as "the dozen or so most powerful militaries" today, it is them that have all (or most of) the ABC-weapons and mines, and the only treaties I'm awere of has been ones designed to prevent others from getting them, or scrapping outdated (...) (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)