 Off-Topic / Geek / 4625
  skirting port blocking?

I have wifi access at my school with my laptop, but the school's network blcoks port 25, so I can't connect to my SMTP servers to send mail there. They only allow people to connect through their server, for 'security reasons.' Since I spend a (...) (21 years ago, 24-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Sure - set up your SMTP server to listen on a different port as well (not instead!) of 25... Or set up your firewall to forward connection from that other port to 25 as well. That's assuming you can set your mail client to connect to a (...) (21 years ago, 24-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Thanks. My client (Outbreak XP) allows me to change the port for my SMTP connection, but it doesn't look like it allows for multiple ports. I suppose that's OK if my ISP agrees to listen on another port in addition, though. -Tim (21 years ago, 24-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  (canceled)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Well, it really *is* for security. Or, bandwidth-savings, at least. The alternative is to send armed strike forces around to install patches on every MS Windows system attached to the network every time a new hole is found. (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  (canceled)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Blocking outgoing port 25 doesn't do anything for security. At most, it means that infected machines can't be used to send out spam (unless they're using the U's SMTP server). But it won't stop anyone from *getting* infected. That said, it (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) We have a lot of bandwidth. :) (...) Yeah, but with 97% of machines running MS OSes, I think the ISPs are sincere in saying that the main purpose of blocking port 25 is to stop the onslaught of Windows-bourne trojans/worms/etc. I know some (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Yup, as I understand from the Windows folks, it was a nightmare. And stopping the outgoing flood means less people getting new versions of the mail, so it does slow down the spread. We just blocked it at BU for Resnet, but we do allow students (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message news:slrnc3s027.249.....bu.edu... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] This is exactly what I do at work to reply to my non-work e-mail. Anything I send from my Mindspring account at (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Unfortunately, some ISPs (verizon, I believe is one) make it so their server only lets you use a From address with their domain name on it. (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)