 Off-Topic / Geek / 4641
Re: skirting port blocking?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:25:44 GMT

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:37:13AM +0000, Matthew Miller wrote:
Jamie Obrien <jamien@interworx.com.au> wrote:
It's a bugger alot of institutions use the "It's for security"
excuse, but you'll have better luck at winning the lotto than
changing policy.

Well, it really *is* for security. Or, bandwidth-savings, at least.
The alternative is to send armed strike forces around to install
patches on every MS Windows system attached to the network every time
a new hole is found.

Blocking outgoing port 25 doesn't do anything for security.  At most, it
means that infected machines can't be used to send out spam (unless
they're using the U's SMTP server).  But it won't stop anyone from
*getting* infected.

That said, it might save on outgoing bandwidth, if there are a lot of
spap-sending-infected students - which is not hard to believe :)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com