 Off-Topic / Geek / 4284
Re: Cleaning Dell Laptop Keyboards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:09:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Tim Courtney writes:
Gotcha. I originally thought this was not possible (cause I've tried
periodically, gently). I started searching the web today for "cleaning
laptop keyboards," and found some tips on it. They included removing keys.
But, I realize different makes would have different keys, and some likely
could be removed and some likely couldn't.

Turns out I saw my officemate on iChat just now.  I'll summarize his various
statements.

Yes - it IS possible to get the keys off, but the "clamps" that hold them on
are EXTREMELY delicate.

He recommends you remove the assembly and blow some canned are in between the
keys and the backplate.

He stressed that attempting to remove the individual keys would be pretty risky.

He works with these all the time - in fact he's replaced the casing around my
lcd in my Inspiron twice now.  So if it were my personal laptop I'd go with the
canned air approach.