 Off-Topic / Geek / 4278
Re: Free PHP and MySQL hosting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:03:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jaco van der Molen writes:
Seriously, it doesn't exist.  You might (if you look hard enough) find a
site that claims to, but you'll be lucky if you can see any of your own
through all the ads.

But just for testing, what would be a good choice?

I couldn't say.  Try searching on Google.  Sites that just do free hosting
are awkward enough with the ads.  I couldn't name one that has PHP off the
top of my head.

Other than that, you'll have to pay.  Rates are pretty low though.  But
honestly, if you've got broadband with a fixed IP address and can afford
leave a PC running, hosting your own is fairly viable.

I have and can, but what will that take?
It is just for testing purposes, so I can decide wether or not to leave it
running.
What I have now, is locally Apache, PHP4 and MySQL running on Windows 98 SE,
but I would like to see it work from any PC on the Internet, not just
"localhost".

Try just typing its IP address into another browser.  If you own a domain
name, have the registration company redirect it to that IP address.

Also search for a free firewall to download and install on it.

Also I would like to work on the site it from another PC, so some upload or
FTP options would be nice, but I have no idea on how to set that up.

I don't know.  Try Google again.

Jason R