 Off-Topic / Geek / 3900 (-20)
  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Okay, this is a quick and dirty list, just what I've observed or confirmed today: Menu - The right-click menu is very confusing. Why not put this in the menu bar and standard dialog boxes? File browser is confusing, as is file filter. Menu - (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sure, go ahead and elaborate. I can't fix it if I don't know about it. I did actually try to fix the text update speed at one point. That's a well known problem with the glut library I use. I can't remember why I stopped working on a fix for (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sure thing, but could you perhaps elaborate just a bit on the meaning of "work properly"? Are you looking for multiple levels of polling like l3lab? Don And by the way, since we're in o-t.geek: vi? blech! At least emacs has the ldraw-mode (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) I tried to get LeoCAD into Debian last year with the help of a Debian devel but they were too scared of adding the library without a license (there's a long discussion on the Debian-Jr mailing list archives). I even have .deb packages ready (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) I tried it recently, but I am afraid I am too used to writing my models in `vi` to apprecate the interface. Speed-wise it seemed okay. I would rather prefer that you spent some time getting the "polling" feature to work properly. Play well, (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) And considering that I just got a single bootable CD Linux system, which runs both KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.org and a bunch of other stuff, it would probably not be difficult to modify this with some LDraw tools added. The big problem - as I see (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) It finally dawned on me (after a less than subtle yet very helpful IM from someone who shall remain nameless :-) that you're the LDGLite author. :-, I've tried the LEdit mode, and gave up in frustration due to the slow redraw (particularly (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) So it all boils down to speed? Has anyone actually tried the LEdit mode (besides the Mac folks who currently have no other option)? I'm just wondering how much of a speedup is required. I've used it for small things on my 486 laptop, but that (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

I just tested a POV-RAY scene with my syster's pc the P-75 and it took 35seconds with the dos version of POV-RAY In my P-3 pc takes 2 - 3 seconds with windows XP runing using a command line dos window. About making a boot disk with povray.exe "dos" (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting there. :-, What Linux (and to some extent, Windows too) really needs is a semi-fast LEdit clone. I understand that one of the newer tools (LDGlite?) has an LEdit mode, but is kinda slow without hardware (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Ouch! That really stings! All kidding aside, what exactly would comprise "a handful of decent LDraw tools". Besides a linux l3p executable, what's missing? I'd like some ideas to add to my "to do" list. (...) That's an interesting thought. Is (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

Eduardo, I really like this idea. I have no experience whatsoever with making bootable CDs, but I'm sure someone else here does. Some questions... I assume that all file saving would happen to hard disk or floppy, unless a rewritable medium such as (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Anti Grav (was Say it ain't so...)

Isn't this a topic more tuned for lugnet.off-topic.geek? Just ask'n. (X-posted it there anyhow) Adrian "Luke Ma" <Luke_Ma@brown.edu> wrote in message news:H0rqG5.n1v@lugnet.com... (...) these (...) level. (...) would (...) this (...) Gravity (...) (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I did some more investigating and figured out some useful stuff... (...) Excel has a useful function NORMDIST, you can generate the above table using: =NORMDIST(A1,0,1,TRUE) Excel generates slightly different values: -3 .0013 -2 .0228 -1 .1587 (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)

(...) :-) It seems it would make more sense for 51 to be called a first order composite rather than a second order prime since it is, in fact, a composite number and *not* a prime. Then again, any positive whole number is a product of primes and the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)

(...) it's a composite number, which happens to have 2 prime factors, not three or so on, so, if anything it might be a first level of composite. this seems to be a friendly starting point: (URL) linear differential equations: boy am I rusty at (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)

(...) Cast iron--they don't make 'em like that anymore! Dave K (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)

(...) I believe those are the Optimus Primes. Dave! (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)

(...) Speaking of prime numbers..., does anyone know if there is a special name for number whose two factors are each prime numbers? For instance, 3 and 17 are prime, an their product is 51. Is there a special term for the number 51, since the only (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Light is getting slower...

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ross Crawford writes: Hey, so am I! :-/ -John (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact