 Off-Topic / Geek / 3785 (-20)
  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) hehe... userID 6 here and folder 12 contains my first content (URL) think the "aerial view" qualifies as geeky since it's from a satellite. (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) COOL! I signed up and an waiting on the email (how long does that take?) Mark (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) I am gonna go with yes as BrickShelf one didn't work... Got the same ID though and improved my position on the "earliest user" list... :-) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) Looks like it - I tried signing in with my current Brickshelf account info and it did NOT work. So I created a new Geekshelf one and am ready to roll... Hurry up folks - those prized low member numbers are going fast... Greg (more of a nerd (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) Do we need to create new accounts? Jude (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geekshelf is online!

(...) Nerds allowed to use Geekshelf? Or is it only for certified geeks? G. (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Geekshelf is online!

I have created a Brickshelf-like gallery for more general geek topics: (URL) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

Oops.. Alfred is not the author: For those who want a general introduction to cartography, technical or historical, try John Noble Wilford's _The Mapmakers_. (Wilford is science editor at the New York Times) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) is the *only* improved map -- just the point that the Mercator projection was designed for navigation, not getting a view of the world as a whole. They've been pretty forthright in saying that all projections inherently have a bias, and that (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) Your political bias is showing! The article shows that Peter's "ostensible goal" was to advance a political agenda at the expense of science. It's always that way, isn't it? For those who want a general introduction to cartography, technical (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) hehe thanks for the link. I had no idea of the controversies going WRT *maps* :-) As a junior high schooler who really only know about the Mercator, the equal area map was quite a mind-blower. I do agree, though, that it really makes a crappy (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

Many thanks, LFB! I didn't know nuthin' about this stuff before now. -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  twisted map followup

Here's a quick follow-up to the matter of Arno Peters as a shameless self-promoter and his map as not novel. Here's an article that's rather well-written and goes over the general points (including why the Peters/Gall maps aren't really that (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

<snip> Christopher Tracey <ctracey@enviroweb.org> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 3CFE0A26.C0A7C942@en...web.org... <snip> (...) <snip> oh do provide more info on that little side project of yours, maybe on a little site of it's own? it really sounds (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: punch cards (was "Minifig Head w/ Headset Over Brown Hair")

(...) 1890 (1) (...) Actually, punch cards were in use before this: (URL) other page from that site: (URL) suggest the census computer was not really the first mechanical computing device, though it perhaps was the first general purpose machine. (1) (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  punch cards (was "Minifig Head w/ Headset Over Brown Hair")

(...) Tell me about it. Sheesh. :-P Trivia note: Punch cards are the size that they are because that was the size of the U.S. bills printed by the U.S. Treasury at the time that punch cards were invented. What decade/era was this? (Answer is (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Ok, this points out a problem with constructions like this, they will have far more holes than something that was thought out. This particular construction is actually a good thought exercise for working out gming and campaign style. If (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) It was just a quick example off the top of my head-- certainly, any such example will have piles of nits one can pick, and that's sort of my point-- anything's gonna have those sorts of problems, and finding those problems is exactly what PCs (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I'm curious, was this an example of a real scenario, and I'm just missing things because there's no way you can compress a game session into a posting or two, or is this a constructed example? If the latter, it sounds like a poorly constructed (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Because I'd like my players to be happy. I could instead, decide about how long it takes for a saboteur to blow up the ship, and then after fifteen minutes of game time have passed, say, "The walls of the ship glow white-hot and then you don't (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact