 Off-Topic / Geek / 3752
  Re: twisted map

(...) It's a transverse projection, probably at 45º of rotation--it looks like a Lambert, but without access to my Bugayevsky and Snyder [1] I couldn't tell you what the exact variation is called. There are so many names for so many slight (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) I agree with your assessment that it is a transverse project, but I thought Lambert was only suitable for projections of a hemisphere? I could be mistaken though, it's been several years since I worried about projections and never did much (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) For hemispheric mapping, conic projections were generally used. Lambert can be applied cylindrically, though: (URL) Which gives the map severe t/b end compression. I'm not sure, again, what the maths are that govern the original map Suz put (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) cool. very cool. (...) cool, i would occasionally go down to the museum at the USGS HQ in Virginia and examine the collection of historical survey devices. (...) Well, I first started work with mapping when I spent two years providing (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) ~Such fun! For I live upon the oblate spheroid of Terra. (The geoid of Earth) [I learned something new today!] Oh, and the stuff about the rhumb line, or, loxodrome has some applications in stellar cartography and the continuum of space. =P (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) I want to jump in here and mention my favorite projection; when I first saw the Peters map, it blew my mind. Check it out: (URL) a high schooler, it really opened my eyes. Why *do* we still use the Mercator projection? -John (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) Actually, Peters is a shameless self-promoter. His "Peters Projection" was in fact invented over 150 years ago by a fellow named Gall. Peters just popped in at the right time with the right tirade and put forth his "corrective" map that really (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

<snip> Christopher Tracey <ctracey@enviroweb.org> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 3CFE0A26.C0A7C942@en...web.org... <snip> (...) <snip> oh do provide more info on that little side project of yours, maybe on a little site of it's own? it really sounds (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  twisted map followup

Here's a quick follow-up to the matter of Arno Peters as a shameless self-promoter and his map as not novel. Here's an article that's rather well-written and goes over the general points (including why the Peters/Gall maps aren't really that (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

Many thanks, LFB! I didn't know nuthin' about this stuff before now. -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) hehe thanks for the link. I had no idea of the controversies going WRT *maps* :-) As a junior high schooler who really only know about the Mercator, the equal area map was quite a mind-blower. I do agree, though, that it really makes a crappy (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) Your political bias is showing! The article shows that Peter's "ostensible goal" was to advance a political agenda at the expense of science. It's always that way, isn't it? For those who want a general introduction to cartography, technical (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

(...) is the *only* improved map -- just the point that the Mercator projection was designed for navigation, not getting a view of the world as a whole. They've been pretty forthright in saying that all projections inherently have a bias, and that (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map followup

Oops.. Alfred is not the author: For those who want a general introduction to cartography, technical or historical, try John Noble Wilford's _The Mapmakers_. (Wilford is science editor at the New York Times) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)