 Off-Topic / Geek / 366
Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:40:59 GMT

<379E1341.88686655@cclabs.missouri.edu> <slrn7pst1h.1om.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU>

Mike Stanley wrote:

I hear you.  I've just taken over administering the labs at UTK.
Luckily, until I get the PCs in shape, I don't have to deal with the
Macs.  By the time I do have to deal with them we'll probably have
phased out even more of them than we have already.  When I came to UTK
I'd say there were 6-10 Macs for every PC.  It's the other way around
now, and getting worse/better.

Oh my!  I've been here at MU for eight years and we haven't seen either
extreme that you've watched.  In '91 we were about 60-70% Mac and now
we're about 70% Windows (not including Unix workstations at all).

I'm about to pull an old 8500/150 out of storage to use for a while as
a secondary machine.  Very secondary, though.  I'll be using my new P3
most of the time.

I used an 8500/150 as my primary machine for quite some time.  With 128M
RAM, it's pretty zippy, but not by today's standards I suppose.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA