 Off-Topic / Debate / 1638
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:00:52 GMT

Tim Rueger <rueger@io.com> wrote:
I'm use a hand-me-down PM6100 (60MHz 601) that I've
added memory and an L2 cache to, say $150 total.  We also
have a substantially more expensive Power Computing box
(CPU was about $1400 in '97, we've added other stuff
since then).

Ok, so asking for a cheaper machine than a hand-me-down is a bit
misleading, don't you think?  I could just as easily say that
Rachael's P2-350 was a hand-me-down for her (since it was) because it
used to be my machine.  In fact, since it hasn't had a thing added to
it since I gave it to her (not even RAM, since it had 128mb when I was
done with it) you could almost say it didn't cost her anything.

This is precisely what I want to avoid.  I need a
tool, not another pet.  (Off-topic off-topic: my
cat's been sick lately, and I'm trying to sell my
house - talk about horrific timing).

I hear you.  It's what *I* enjoy, though.  It's one of the ways I've
learned as much as I have - by pushing all my equipment and software
to the limits.

"Zero maintenance" means no user-serviceable parts
(except *maybe* OS upgrades, and I'm still using
MacOS 8.1).  This means no patches, no service packs,
no kernel rebuilds, no nothing.  I only have time
to use my machine, and none to mess with it.

Well, you seem to be implying that the MacOS, and maybe Mac software
in general, doesn't have patches, service packs, etc.  That's simply
not true.  You may choose not to download and install them, but they
do exist, and are, in some cases, very necessary.  Since Windows98
came out the process of updating one's OS with the latest patches,
etc, has been a simple button-click process.  Not sure if that's
doable with the Mac yet.  And that _doesn't_ require a sysadmin, just
someone who is willing to click a button every once in a while.

Stability (lack of OS crashes) is to some extent a
different issue from downtime spent repairing an OS
that shouldn't be broken in the first place, but
that's a good point.  The Mac still crashes too much.

Not sure what you mean by that.  Perhaps you have this vision of PC
users dealing with lots of "downtime" repairing their OS.  As I said
before, I do a little of that, mainly because I break things almost on
purpose.  Rachael spends no time doing it, nor do I, for her machine.
Sure, Windows98 wasn't perfect when it was released.  Nor was MacOS
8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, or any of the inbetween fix levels.

I made an image of Rachael's machine back in December, when I rebuilt
it after taking NT off it (didn't have to rebuild, just didn't need
the NT junk on it so I did).  Haven't had to ghost that image back
onto the machine yet.  To ME, that's zero-maintenance.

But for Rachael, it looks like she needs a sysadmin
(i.e., you) to take care of this stuff.  I have
no such people available to me, nor do I think
they should be necessary to use a computer in 1999.

Needs?  I think Rachael's asked me one question about her computer
this year.  "Baldur's Gate crashed with this exception error - do you
think I should reboot and load from my latest save?"  Other than that,
she hasn't "needed" me at all.

I'm the first to admit that the Mac is probably a lot easier (in some
ways) for a novice to use, but I honestly don't know where you get
this impression that PC users spend some large percentage (or even any
percentage) of their time "fixing" their computers.

Next I guess you'll tell me that iMac users really can bring a
computer home and be on the net in 15 minutes.  If you did, I'd have
to say they could, if they use the built-in Apple-provided connection
(earthlink or something), but God help them if they choose another ISP
and don't have any experience setting that stuff up, especially if
they had to do it right after the iMac was released and all the local
ISPs (the ones that supported Macs) probably still had step-by-step
instructions that referred to setting up TCP/IP and PPP, not Remote
Access.

Then I'd have to say that a new PC user could be on the net in 15
minutes as well, especially if he decided to use the built-in AOL
connection.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)