 Off-Topic / Geek / 3064
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 21:12:51 GMT

Thanks Mike - That sounds like a good way to go - I guess the only thing
that would be a loss using the BEFSR41 to handle DHCP is better control over
the IP Lease? Looking at the web page I didn't this specified, but I
currently have a network device that I want to keep the IP address the same
(based upon the MAC). In W2k DHCP service you can identify a specific IP
lease to be non expiring and reserved for a specific device. Can you briefly
describe the DHCP service the BEFSR41 provides?

The Linksys will allow this. If I recall correctly it splits up a class C
subnet (192.x.x.x ??), half for DHCP and the other half as dedicated to
MACs. Practicaly everything is user configurable if you don't like the
defaults. I use the non DHCP range for my printers due some unique
requirements in my environment. Thats all from memory so I may have erred in
some minor points. I had planned on offerring to send you a copy of the
manual but for some reason my working copy is '0' Kbyte. I suspect that if
you write Linksys they will send you a copy. befsr41ug.pdf is the file name
of the copy I had. I'll look for the original monday and send you a copy
assuming I find it.

Also, the spec says up to 253 users, I assume then that I can have computers
connected to standard mini-hubs throughout the house which then an up-link
to the BEFSR41? If this *is* the case, why wouldn't a 1 port (BEFSR11) work
(just curious)?

You are correct. A one port hub used the way you described will work just
fine. Many of my co-workers are doing just that for their home networks. In
my case, it was just a quick and dirty way to get switched 10/100 ports. I
in fact now have a 8 port 10B-T hub (for printers) connected to one port of
the Linksys.

Mike

Thanks!
Mark