 Off-Topic / Geek / 3061
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:36:44 GMT

I have a home network that sounds very similer to yours and had, initially,
similer problems. I solved virtually all problems with a BEFSR41 from
Linksys. (www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=5) There are other similar
products on the market but this is the one I am most familier with.

I initially bought it for the firewall it provides but I ended up letting it
handle DHCP serving as well. It has four 10/100 switched ports and does NAT
(Net Address Translation) which allows all devices on your home network to
access the internet using the one IP assigned by your ISP. I've seen the
four port one like I have for as low as $130 and single port ones for under $90.

The box was very easy to set up and has worked without fail since I
installed it about a year ago.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Mike Jones

So here is my question with ADSL - can it be used, and work well with, a
private LAN? I have a LAN (Win2k server based) in my house that includes the
server being a DNS server, DHCP server and Domain controller. I have this
configuration so that I can have a domain for development/programming
reasons. I basically want to have all computers on the LAN be able to access
the internet. I've been really interested in ADSL/DSL (does it matter?) but
haven't been able to find a good answer to this question if this
configuration can work. I would think I could put the DSL modem/net card in
the server and also have the LAN network card (basically dual-homed server)
and have the server act as a "software" based router/firewall.

I'm kinda new to networking, though I was able to setup my home LAN, so
please define any acronyms that might be used.

thanks
Mark