 Off-Topic / Geek / 3062
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:55:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Jones writes:
I have a home network that sounds very similer to yours and had, initially,
similer problems. I solved virtually all problems with a BEFSR41 from
Linksys. (www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=5) There are other similar
products on the market but this is the one I am most familier with.

I initially bought it for the firewall it provides but I ended up letting it
handle DHCP serving as well. It has four 10/100 switched ports and does NAT
(Net Address Translation) which allows all devices on your home network to
access the internet using the one IP assigned by your ISP. I've seen the
four port one like I have for as low as $130 and single port ones for under
$90.

Thanks Mike - That sounds like a good way to go - I guess the only thing
that would be a loss using the BEFSR41 to handle DHCP is better control over
the IP Lease? Looking at the web page I didn't this specified, but I
currently have a network device that I want to keep the IP address the same
(based upon the MAC). In W2k DHCP service you can identify a specific IP
lease to be non expiring and reserved for a specific device. Can you briefly
describe the DHCP service the BEFSR41 provides?

Also, the spec says up to 253 users, I assume then that I can have computers
connected to standard mini-hubs throughout the house which then an up-link
to the BEFSR41? If this *is* the case, why wouldn't a 1 port (BEFSR11) work
(just curious)?

Thanks!
Mark