 Off-Topic / Geek / 3063
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 20:46:01 GMT

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Mark Rideout wrote:

So here is my question with ADSL - can it be used, and work well with, a
private LAN? I have a LAN (Win2k server based) in my house that includes the
server being a DNS server, DHCP server and Domain controller. I have this
configuration so that I can have a domain for development/programming
reasons. I basically want to have all computers on the LAN be able to access
the internet. I've been really interested in ADSL/DSL (does it matter?) but
haven't been able to find a good answer to this question if this
configuration can work. I would think I could put the DSL modem/net card in
the server and also have the LAN network card (basically dual-homed server)
and have the server act as a "software" based router/firewall.

I'm kinda new to networking, though I was able to setup my home LAN, so
please define any acronyms that might be used.

defenitly you can use DSL with a LAN - what you have to do is have the
server do NAT (Network address translation), which means you have multiple
computers on the same ip.  you can do that with any win98 and higher, via
software, and of course, with any linux...

:)

Dan