 Off-Topic / Geek / 2771
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:48:30 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Masi writes:
I thought The LEGO Company believed that "Only the Best is Good Enough."
Evidently, they changed their minds...
TLC should hire Steve Jobs!
Steve Jobs? The man who thought that no one would ever need to add
anything to the original Mac so he sealed the case. If he ran LEGO we
might never be able to get into the the box to play with the LEGO. (I
know, not a great analogy, but I am not a huge Jobs fan. He seems like
a great promoter, but I question his leadership.)

I'm not really too worried about what he may or may not have said or thought
or did back in 1983-84 -- it's the recent stuff that counts, IMHO.  Since
Jobs came back to Apple, things have greatly improved.  Jobs has excellent
taste knows how to hire industrial designers with excellent taste.  No other
computer manufacturer even comes remotely close, IMHO.  (And I'm someone who
has always hated Macs.)

PS Been computing with Mac's since 1989 and I have never owned anything
else.

I grew up on my Apple ][, then moved on to the IBM-PC and Windows for a
decade and a half, then on to Linux.  If OSX doesn't suck, there's a good
chance I'll switch back to Apple.  I've never been so blown away in the
computer store before.

--Todd

Steve's rise to prominence was due to the Mac, which was a computer that he did
not design. He packaged it, sold it, and there were boom times at Apple. Then
Apple began to falter, Steve didn't come up with any new stuff, and he was asked
to leave. A few years ago (back in the days where Apple considered licensing),
Apple and others (including IBM) spent a lot of time and money developing CHRP
(Common Hardware Reference Platform is the name I think). Some how Steve found
himself back at Apple and and the CHRP stuff disappeared, kind of. Apple wasn't
going to license the Mac OS to anyone, but Steve repackaged CHRP as the iMac,
the G3, and the G4. After the the iMac came into existence, Apple stock prices
exploded. But the boom was short lived.

I don't dislike Steve Jobs, I just don't think he is as great as his hype.

Chris

P.S. I have heard that OSX has all that command line Unixy stuff that Unix
people love in it. I don't have an opinion on OSX yet. It is supposed to be a
better operating system, but the user interface is very different. One sig line
I read said, I am paraphrasing here, the power and stability of unix with all
the usefulness of a VT100.
--
See my LEGO creations at
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/