 Off-Topic / Geek / 2661
Re: Remaining parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:16:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeff Shiner writes:
- SNIP -

Assume the accuracy of your scale is +- 2 grams.
Assume the weight of a 1x1 round plate is 2 grams.
Take a bag which is supposed to have 10 1x1 round plates in it.

If when weighed, it weighs 20 grams, the actual weight could be 18 grams
(only 9 plates) or 22 grams (11 plates). Now we want to guarantee that
there are 10 plates, but when our scale measures 20 grams, there might
actually only be 9 plates. So we re-program the packing machine to put
11 plates in. Now the expected weight is 22 grams, and if for some
reason a plate was missing, the bag would actually weigh 20 grams, but
the scale might still report it as 22 grams, which passes, but we're ok,
because it does indeed have the required 10 plates.

I'm not sure how this would explain kits whose bags are mixed pieces as
almost all are.  The scale may indicate that a piece is missing but clearly
could not indicate which piece. Am I missing something?

Yes. The thing you're missing is that pieces rarely are missing. The scale
is there as a check. Further, the bag is weighed after every insertion step,
or so the stuff we've read seems to imply. As soon as a problem is noted,
it's time to bring in maintenance to see why the machine isn't working
right. Knowing exactly what the problem is certainly helpful, but knowing
there IS a problem is 97% of the battle with automation.

Especially unattended automation, as is used in TLC plants. (I was looking
through the DK book again, and they have a picture of a molding hall,
hundreds of machines, not a soul in it. Bagging is not molding, of course...)

++Lar