 Off-Topic / Geek / 2510
Re: So you think you know your stuff?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:49:52 GMT

"Christopher Lindsey" <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote in message
news:3A3EEF5D.84BF5868@nospam.mallorn.com...
Daniel Crichton wrote:

As a bit of a laugh (and to get people to use my company's web site) the
company I run the web site for has written a Flash application that • gives
you 60 seconds to answer as many techie (and some non-techie) questions • as
possible, and there are a load of prizes up for grabs for the most
knowledgeable. I know this sounds like a bit of a spam, but it's really • just
to see if anyone wants to try their hand at beating me (yes, the cartoon
character in the app is modelled on myself!) at their techie know-how. • You
can get the Flash app at http://computer-manuals.co.uk/ChallengeDan/

Not to put a damper on things, but doesn't the use of Windows/DOS binaries
or the Flash 5 requirement eliminate a fair number of techies?  I was • looking
to put a team together at work, but nobody wanted to install Windows on
a system just for this...  :)

Ah, the SWF file is also so there so as long as you have an OS that
Macromedia have a Flash player (or Flash control to use in a browser) it
will run on other OS's (well, only MacOS PowerPC at the moment, seems
Macromedia don't have Flash 5 ready for Linux yet!). Nearly every techie I
know here in the UK uses Windows NT or Windows 2000, only one or 2 have
Linux running. We use a lot of stuff that isn't in Flash 4 so it was hard to
make it more widely compatible ... maybe next time we'll have to sacrifice
functionality to support more OS's.

Actually, if anyone with Redhat or Slackware Linux, or Solaris 2.x, can try
the SWF file if they also have Netscape Navigator 3 or higher, it may work
as Macromedia do list these as Flash 5 compatible on their system
requirements page.

Dan