 Off-Topic / Geek / 2421
  Hot Paper?

Thanks to Ray Bradbury, we all know the combustion point of (at least some kinds of) paper. What would happen if you had a sheet of paper in a vacuum and heated it to 500 degrees F? Dave! (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Just venturing a guess, I would say it depends on how long it was in the vacuum before you heated it. If you heated it quickly, it might char a bit (using oxygen trapped within the paper interstices) but I would expect that in most cases it (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Well being in a vacuum I know it won't burn. My guess is that nothing will happen but I could be wrong. Eric K. (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Being in a vacuum, how would you heat the surroundng nothingness to 500 degrees? Aren't vacuums, by definition, a few degrees above absolute zero? --Electro-- (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Okay, you caught me on my technical imprecision. More precisely, I mean simply an evacuated chamber in which, I suppose, one could position IR lamps over the aforementioned paper sheet. For that matter, even in its approximate vacuum, the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Sure, it'll get hot, but boiling is way different from burning. (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Now we're getting somewhere! But what would happen to the paper once it got that hot? That's what I was trying to get at in the first place... Dave! (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Incident radiation. The paper may BE in a vacuum, but it, itself, is not a vacuum, it has density greater than 0. Hence paper is not a vacuum. Consider why some satellites spin. To keep their surface temperature within bounds, by allowing the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) So all we need to do to solve this is build and launch a satellite made out of paper. Think of how little fuel we'd need! Dave! (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Hot Paper?

(...) Note that I think the LDEF had some paper/cardboard panels, you might try spelunking the NASA site for the writeup on what happened to them. I could be misremembering, maybe LDEF only had metal and plastic panels. But there were over 500 of (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)