 Off-Topic / Geek / 2426
Re: Hot Paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Martineau writes:

What would happen if you had a sheet of paper in a vacuum and heated it to
500 degrees F?

Well being in a vacuum I know it won't burn.  My guess is that nothing will
happen but I could be wrong.

Being in a vacuum, how would you heat the surroundng nothingness to 500
degrees? Aren't vacuums, by definition, a few degrees above absolute zero?

  Okay, you caught me on my technical imprecision.  More precisely, I mean
simply an evacuated chamber in which, I suppose, one could position IR lamps
over the aforementioned paper sheet.
  For that matter, even in its approximate vacuum, the sunward face of
Mercury is hot enough to boil lead.

     Dave!