 Off-Topic / Geek / 213
  Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

I was copy pasting URL to Lugnet set database onto my email client when I realized how HANDY it would be if all LEGO set numbers are automatically shown as hotlinks to the lugnet set database! So, you'll be reading a Lugnet posting, and the author (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) I was contemplating doing something similar a couple weeks ago when MikeS was talking about how much he used the search box... Rather than just giving a link into the DB, it really ought to (if it could) give a thumbnail and the set's data (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

I don't think it would be sloppy at all. I think the benifit of being able to reference a set would vastly outweigh the cases where people are talking about their 1998 corvette. Besides, it would be a subtle reminder to stay topical. It might be a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

That's a great idea! I would love to see this! How about detecting any three or four digit numbers and linking them to the search page. just run this every 5-10 min.: #!/bin/sh filetmp1=/tmp/hypertmp1 filetmp2=/tmp/hypertmp2 filelist=/tmp/hyperlist (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) Here's another idea! How about using a spacer GIF image as the link?! 8x5 pixels is probably big enough. Tell people that they can click on the "space" after a set# to look it up. You do this for all suspect (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) <SNIP> Hmmm... Here's an idea. If I'm talking about set #295 instead of my bowling score, I could type "...telephone from :295: is my favorite....". Just a random thought... Charles (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) Yikes! -- Kevin, surely you jest! :) Problems with the general approach above: * Iterates over tens of thousands of files every few minutes, rewriting each one whether it needs to or not. Doesn't track which articles have and have not yet been (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

Well, that was the product of "2am after coming home from the bar" activity. Not too bad considering that. 1. The part about running it on the whole news tree every 5-10min was a joke (normally I would just give a code fragment instead of a whole (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

Todd, I've read several messages from the thread, but not the all of them, so please excuse me if it is already mentioned. I think the way web browsers automatically handles URLs in the message body is also suitable for this mission. if you type the (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) Or you can do the opposite and require special markup around the number to be considered a set # for automatic linking. Some ideas: I'd really like to my hands on a set:5952-2: soon! I'd really like to my hands on a <SET>5952-2</SET> soon! (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:53:49 GMT, Todd Lehman uttered the following profundities... (...) Tommy 2tone? There's a blast from the past.... (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) [snip] (...) [snip] Actually, you answered your own issue about the most convenient way to specify set numbers and eliminate false positives: check for "#" followed by two or more digits! This does, admittedly, still expose a false positive (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)