 Off-Topic / Geek / 214
Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:53:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Hari Wiguna writes:
I was copy pasting URL to Lugnet set database onto my email client when I
realized how HANDY it would be if all LEGO set numbers are automatically
shown as hotlinks to the lugnet set database!

So, you'll be reading a Lugnet posting, and the author mentioned 8880.
This will AUTOMATICALLY appear as a hotlink, click it and a new window will
open with this info
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8880
You continue reading the message while seeing the set info.

I was contemplating doing something similar a couple weeks ago when MikeS
was talking about how much he used the search box...  Rather than just
giving a link into the DB, it really ought to (if it could) give a thumbnail
and the set's data right alongside the post -- in a sidebar.

This would be an awesome feature in Lugnet's web newsreader.
And I bet it's not really all that difficult to do.

Alas, this is actually an *extremely* difficult problem to solve.  Displaying
the info (once you know the set number) is easy -- that's just a SMOP -- but
figuring out whether a given integer is a set number or not -- and whether
it's the correct set number from two or more identical set numbers -- is
no easy task.

Just search the text (subject and posted message content) for three or four
digit numbers, and add the proper URL to do a set search.

Susceptible to false positives.  Examples:

"I bowled a 295 yesterday!"
   Not referring to the #295 Homemaker Office set.

"I used to listen to that group back in 1978."
   Not referring to set 31978 Build-A-Santa.

"Woohoo -- I found a 6848 at a garage sale yesterday for $2.00!"
   Referring to #6848 Strategic Pursuer (1988) or #6848 Interplanetary
   Shuttle (1985)?

"Eyes Wide Shut reminds me that I gotta see Kubrick's 2001 again."
   Not referring to set #2001 Three In One (LEGO PRIMO).

"867 5309 Jenny I got your number"
   Not referring to set #5309 Wagon Plate (9v Train Accessory).

"Ice Planet 2002 rocks!"
   Not referring to set #2002 Jumbo Building Bag (LEGO PRIMO).

"Lucas's only good flick was THX 1138."
   Not referring to set #1138 (replacement rubber wheel treads for trains).

"My paternal grandmother was born in 1906."
   Not referring to set #1906 Majisto's Tower Castle.

etc. etc.  :-(

Since this is only performed as a post processing just prior to displaying
on the web newsreader, the message will still be readable by everyone
without the extra gunk.

If Todd wants to get ambitious, he can even verify that those # are real set
# before doing the hotlinking.

Unfortunately, that only eliminates about 1/2 of the false positives...  :-(

Anyone out there on the mozilla group?  How about Outlook Express team?
Same idea can be applied to a stand alone newsreader.

Granted that there will be false links, but I think people would be willing
to NOT click on those.

IMHO, if done inline in the text, false positives would look incredibly
sloppy and careless.  However, maybe, just maybe, it might work to put
something off to the side saying (in so many words) "Here are links to
the DB for numbers that -might- be LEGO set numbers.  No guarantees, but
it might save you some keystrokes.  Don't complain if the links don't take
you where you expected to go!"

Also got to be smart enough NOT to create the hotlink if number is ALREADY
part of a URL.

That's a good point!

--Todd