 Off-Topic / Geek / 213
212  |  214
Subject:
Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 05:49:29 GMT

I was copy pasting URL to Lugnet set database onto my email client when I
realized how HANDY it would be if all LEGO set numbers are automatically
shown as hotlinks to the lugnet set database!

So, you'll be reading a Lugnet posting, and the author mentioned 8880.
This will AUTOMATICALLY appear as a hotlink, click it and a new window will
open with this info
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8880
You continue reading the message while seeing the set info.

This would be an awesome feature in Lugnet's web newsreader.
And I bet it's not really all that difficult to do.
Just search the text (subject and posted message content) for three or four
digit numbers, and add the proper URL to do a set search.

Since this is only performed as a post processing just prior to displaying
on the web newsreader, the message will still be readable by everyone
without the extra gunk.

If Todd wants to get ambitious, he can even verify that those # are real set
# before doing the hotlinking.

Anyone out there on the mozilla group?  How about Outlook Express team?
Same idea can be applied to a stand alone newsreader.

Granted that there will be false links, but I think people would be willing
to NOT click on those.
Also got to be smart enough NOT to create the hotlink if number is ALREADY
part of a URL.

-Hari-