 Off-Topic / Geek / 1973
Re: visual confirmation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
That's one thing I REALLY don't like about the way a lot of web stuff
seems to work (actually lots of software). No IMMEDIATE visual confirmation
that the action has been started. This should be given ANY time an action
is initiated which could take some time (and any action which will cross a
network should be assumed to take some time to complete).

Hmm...doesn't your browser give you an hourglass or wristwatch cursor right
away and update its status area at the bottom with a message saying that it's
contacting the server?

Looks like MSIE at home does. I'm not so sure at work. One problem is that
sometimes the system can be sufficiently loaded down that the GUI doesn't
respond (this is really bad with the Windows Terminal Server which I use to
get access to Lotus Notes [isn't that humorous, and IBM product which can't be
run on IBM's own OSes...or at least not and get all the features], where it
can take several seconds for the GUI to respond sometime). Another thing which
can cause annoyance is when new windows pop up, and steal the focus from the
thing you were right in the middle of (sometimes I'm not sure I like to have
the feature in Windows where your mouse automatically is positioned over the
default button on a new window - I have occaisionally been working while the
dialer is trying to connect, and go to click on something just as it connects,
at which point I promptly disconnect myself - grrrr).

The good thing for web posting to Lugnet is the clear confirmation screen, so
if one isn't sure the click took, just wait a few seconds and see if the web
posting screen shows up. If it didn't, and there is no evidence that the
browser is doing something, you probably didn't hit the button.

What would be nice is if the browsers would change the button you just pressed
so that it is clear it was pressed. It is nice that they don't immediately
clear the window when a new page is going to be fetched (I too often fumble on
some windows, and immediately hit stop to stay on the current page).

Frank