 Off-Topic / Geek / 1672
Re: Bad Choices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 16:42:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: David M. [mailto:ElectroTX@webtv.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 2:51 PM
To: lugnet.off-topic.geek@lugnet.com
Subject: Bad Choices

I wonder if I can start an underground movement among
Apple/Mac groupies,
fanatics, etc... to change the _horrid_ pronunciation of SCSI
(scuzzy) to
something a little better, like SCSI (sexy).

When I first learned about the small computer systems
interface, it seemed
natural to add an 'e' between the 's' and 'c' rather than a
'u' between the
'c' and 's'

Is anyone else miffed at the choice the 'standard-bearers' made?

Maybe if we .geeks band together and unite to calling scuzzy
sexy, it might
be commonplace in a year....

Just IMnot-so-HO

Good luck....

I actually think the scuzzy came about through the actual letters:

'sc' is generally pronounced 'sck' [I can't think of a better way to type
this...You know the pronunciation of scum or scrap (that's the best way to
describe it)] and si is pronounced 'si' or 'sea' leading to 'sck-si'. This
is generally easier to pronounce with a 'u' in between the section to make
it run together better, which is where the name came from, and not through
intended addition of letters like you're pushing for.

Small Computer.  It's just a carryover of the hard c (k) sound: skuzzy rather
than suzy.  I use "scummy" and "scurvy" and the people at work always know I'm
refering to SCSI.  Nothing like mking a bad choice worse.  ;-)

Bruce