 Off-Topic / Geek / 1665
RE: Bad Choices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 04:59:24 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: David M. [mailto:ElectroTX@webtv.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 2:51 PM
To: lugnet.off-topic.geek@lugnet.com
Subject: Bad Choices

I wonder if I can start an underground movement among
Apple/Mac groupies,
fanatics, etc... to change the _horrid_ pronunciation of SCSI
(scuzzy) to
something a little better, like SCSI (sexy).

When I first learned about the small computer systems
interface, it seemed
natural to add an 'e' between the 's' and 'c' rather than a
'u' between the
'c' and 's'

Is anyone else miffed at the choice the 'standard-bearers' made?

Maybe if we .geeks band together and unite to calling scuzzy
sexy, it might
be commonplace in a year....

Just IMnot-so-HO

Good luck....

I actually think the scuzzy came about through the actual letters:

'sc' is generally pronounced 'sck' [I can't think of a better way to type
this...You know the pronunciation of scum or scrap (that's the best way to
describe it)] and si is pronounced 'si' or 'sea' leading to 'sck-si'. This
is generally easier to pronounce with a 'u' in between the section to make
it run together better, which is where the name came from, and not through
intended addition of letters like you're pushing for.

Still, as I said earlier...good luck [You're going to need it]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)