 Off-Topic / Geek / 1661
Re: Programming & LEGO legal stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 19:12:12 GMT

Tobias Möller <tobias.moller@telia.com> wrote:
Can games be made with Pascal? I got a book (it's from 1988 so it
doesn't contain the most recent information) and found nothing about
including images etc. there. But can't games be made with any
programming language?

Sure, they definitely can. Are you using TurboPascal? Borland provides some
convenient libraries.

Now to my other thing. Since it's LEGO-related and LEGO is a
trademark/big company, can they sue me? I can't make it a shareware game

then, can I? Anders Isaksson said that if I used my own creations (it's
supposed to be a rendered game) it probably was OK, but that the minifig
was patented. Does that mean I'll have to skip the minifig pilot for my
spaceship? Do I have to include a disclaimer (I think I'll have to)?

Patents wouldn't apply, since you're not actually _making_ things. However,
trademark and perhaps copyright might. If your game uses generic Lego
system-like blocks, you're probably ok. If it uses the word "LEGO", you're
probably not.

Personally, I'd suggest making your game freeware. Very few people make any
money from shareware, and by making it completely free, more people will get
to see and appreciate what you've done, and that's certainly worth
something.

You might even consider providing the source, once you have the game fairly
far along. This would allow people to port it to other platforms, and maybe
even make additions (if you want those, of course).

I want to clear out this legal mess first. If I make my game and then
get sued for it after a week I wouldn't feel very happy.

I don't think anyone here is a lawyer, so this isn't necessarily the best
way to get that kind of information.

PS: this isn't a pascal sucks comment, as you specifically asked to not have
those, but: why pascal? There _are_ a lot of other nicer and more modern
languages out there.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/