 Off-Topic / Geek / 1612
Re: Installing sshd?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 18:51:54 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
Faking authloop for illegal user jsproat from 137.65.xxx.xxx port xxx
Connection closed by 137.65.xxx.xxx

That part about "illegal user" concerns me; the docs don't exactly explain
this.  Am I putting user jsproat into the wrong group or ACL?  Arg.  Does

Yeah, that's weird.

Here's my config (for openssh 1.2.3):

  -----
# This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.

Port 22
ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin no
IgnoreRhosts yes
StrictModes yes
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO
#obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging

RhostsAuthentication no
#
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for RhostsRSAAuthentication
IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

#
RSAAuthentication yes

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# To change Kerberos options
#
# We use pam_kafs for authentication instead of compiling kerberos support
# directly into openssh. (We may add it in later releases, for forwarding.)
#

#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#AFSTokenPassing no
#KerberosTicketCleanup no

# Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing yes

CheckMail no
UseLogin no
-----

Do you have a proper pam config? Something like:
-----
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nodelay
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
-----

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/