 Off-Topic / Geek / 1511
Re: CGI question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 04:38:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Sproaticus wrote:

Matthew Miller wrote:
Javascript story: I just came across someone the other day who was mad
because he had to "covert all his equal signs into double-equals so they'd
work with netscape". Hrm. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, that.

I had a C programming class in college with this woman who was upset that
"MOVE TO" and "MULTIPLY BY" weren't part of the C language.  The moment she
said that, an eerie silence fell over the classroom...

The punchline is that two years later, she was making more money than any of
us, doing Y2K fixes.

Scary bit of COBOL code one of my co-workers ran across today (he was
given the code because it's the closest thing to documentation available
for a file he has to deal with):

IF FLD_XYZ_YR < 29 THEN
   FLD_XYZ_YR4 = 2000 + FLD_XYZ_YR4
ELSE
   FLD_XYZ_YR4 = 1900 + FLD_XYZ_YR4
ENDIF

(ok, ok; this isn't the verbatim code.  But the meaning is there.)

I'd say the Y2K programmers haven't earned their last overtime bonus
yet.

Steve