 Off-Topic / Geek / 1484
Re: CGI question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 01:21:39 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Paul Foster wrote:
I have the following perl script that I inherited in
a program I am supposed to fix, the perl I understand,
but I'm not really up on Forms..
How can I check if the user has put data into the login field?

Reject it on the server end, and serve the form again with an appropriate error
message.  If you were using the CGI module (1), return an error if (for
example) $cgi->param("Vlogin") returns a blank string.

nod, exactly.

Oh, yeah.  And don't rely on Javascript if you don't have to.  Many people
(including myself) don't have it, or turn it off at the first opportunity.
(See why below.)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
well, not sure how you can do it with java, but you shouldn't rely on
java for form validation anyhow - it's unreliable, and easily overcome.

Arg!  Pet peeve alert!  :-,

Java != Javascript.  One is a highly-structured and (IMO) relatively elegant
programming language, the other is a gaping security hole masquerading as
useless browser eye candy.  Aside from Netscape's bone-headed marketing
decision to name one after the other, they have extremely little to do with
each other.

you're very correct, I'm sorry.  I don't have much experience with
either java or JS, so the two unknowns are very similar.  I do know that
java is a respectable language though :)

Dan