 Off-Topic / Geek / 1335
Re: atari 800 web server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.tele
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:19:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:
I just wrote a really really basic web server for my atari 800.

It listens on it's serial port (9600 baud) for a CD, and spits
out the html page and drops DTR.  The serial port is connected
to an old CS-210 terminal server which is set to listen on
port 23.  So, if you connect to port 23 on the terminal server
it spits out the web page.  Unfortunately there is no way
to configure the TS to listen to port 80 so I will need to
configure an address translator in front of it.

For now you can connect to it (via telnet or msie):

http://atari800.kl.net:23

Netscape seems to block port 23 for some reason but IE works.

At 9600 baud and around 220 characters for the page it should support
3-4 hits per second!

Oh Beautiful Hack!  Very nice!!

(I get the same funny +128 characters that Matt got, but I'm sure you'll get
that figured out. :)

Say, what's the maximum transmission rate (uncompressed) over IR for an RCX
brick?  Could we expect an RCX version of your webserver anytime soon?  (Not
too many battery-powered cordless webservers around yet.  ;-)

--Todd