 Off-Topic / Geek / 1187
Re: gnome-terminal colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 19:46:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
it seems to work fine for me, unless you're trying to do something
weird with ncurses?  (I just tried pico to see if it works, and it
seems to be fine...)

Well, I'm not exactly trying to do anything weird, but I would like arbitrary-
colored text to display properly on a white background.  Here's what I'm
doing:

   http://www.lugnet.com/temp/gterm1.gif

To get that to work, I had to tell it to make red-on-black text, gray-on-black
text, and white-on-black text, and then redefine black, white, and the two
grays.  When I tell it to display red-on-white or black-on-white, it comes out
red-on-gray or black-on-gray.  According to the ncurses manpages, I might
have to set the A_BLINK attribute (a very old 1983 DOS legacy bit) in order
to see bright backgrounds without redefining colors.  But I'm not willing to
do anything that kludgey to make it work, because it would royally screw up
on systems that actually handled the A_BLINK attribute as blinking text.

Maybe I'll just make all of the colors externally redefinable in this utility.

--Todd