 Off-Topic / Geek / 1099
Re: Anyone here into DVDs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:13:05 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:sd0i8s4ej76s9vjtvjf1tvotde5b1otncd@4ax.com...
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:45:54 GMT, "Huw Millington
Wondering if online DVD stores will ship to you... ?  I thought some
would, especially the biggies.  Looks like Reel.com does.

Most of them will, but the trick is avoiding taxes at this end. If you order
something from Amazon, say, they generally plaster the fact its from them
all over the box. Customs therefore notice this, open it and charge VAT and
duty on the contents, plus a fee for the 'privelege' of having them open it.
This could add 10GBP onto the price.

On the other hand, if they are shipped from the US by an individual, customs
rarely notice and thus you avoid this 'surcharge'

Perhaps I'm just dishonest...

Huw

--
The parts you want and nothing else?