 Off-Topic / Geek / 1092
Re: Lost mail at partsref
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 07:41:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Salm writes:
Most Excellent!!  Since GoBack has a 10-day free trial period, I will wait
until I really need it to try it out.  Not that I really look forward to
actually finding this necessary....

Well, you actually need to have it running first -- before you run into
trouble.  That is, AFAIK, it can't take you back to snapshots in time prior
to when it was installed.  If you don't have it installed, and you trash
something, it can't help you.  But if you -do- have it installed, and you
trash something, then it -can- help you, because once it's installed, it uses
a portion of free disk space to do automatic background versioning/journaling
at the disk-block level.

I liked reading the five reasons why I need GoBack.  Quite humorous.
Now, the next time I do something foolish, I can simply rely on GoBack.
Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Todd.

BTW, have you ever found it necessary to use this product??

No, I do have a copy of it (complimentary, for helping proofread some early
legal materials for the product), but I've never used it, because it's
Windows[1]-only, and I hate Windows.  If there was a Linux version, then
I'd probably pretty happily put it on my system.  :-)

--Todd

[1] Win95/98, with a WinNT/2000 version in the works, I believe.