 Off-Topic / Geek / *610 (-10)
  Re: Sluggish nntp performance

(...) Yeah, exactly. Most likely one of the routers is overloaded -- if one checks the dns for the gateways at 8 & 9, one finds the phrases "155M" and "622M", which seems like a lot of bandwidth to me. (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sluggish nntp performance

(...) Oh, I've been a manager... but I stopped. Didn't like it and neither did any of the people I was managing. *no idea* why, really. LOL... <snipped excellent explanation> (...) Lemme see if I got it then, in this example the problem lies either (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sluggish nntp performance

Tonight everything is running fast again! It has been a week since I have had normal LUGNET NNTP performance but now it seems to be fine. -- Scott Smallbeck scotts@contactics.com (URL) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sluggish nntp performance

(...) If I were talking to a manager, I'd say: don't worry, we'll take care of it. *grin* But: IP packets have a property called Time-To-Live. It's a counter, and each time a packet goes through a gateway, it's decremented. (By default, most packets (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Which telnet emulator for Win32?

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message news:37F93F6D.EA670D...@io.com... (...) my (...) surprising (...) currently (...) worse (...) anyone got one for windows ce P/PC while there at it? I really gotta be able to check my e-mail and read (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: web surveys

(...) You are pretty close to the mark. Here's some snippets from what I heard back from the licensing guys at MySQL: Michael Widenius wrote: (...) That last paragraph is pretty interesting -- theyopenly admit they're using the sales of the Win32 (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Personal web database of sets...

Hi everyone, Has anyone ever tried to put their collection of sets on the web? I'm trying to, but having a problem doing it. I want to create a site where the user is able to choose a set (preferably from a drop-down menu) in the left frame and have (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: web surveys

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote (...) I am aware. What I'm doing is read-only so that's not really an issue. All I want is SQL-type queries on a huge mound of text data, so MySQL seems suitable. Moz (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Inventory Database (Access)

(...) others from Lugnet. I will add you to the email list for discussion. I think that if we all work together, it will be very nice. I am working out a plan for allowing updates to the dat files to be sent out that will add new pieces and new set (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: web surveys

Just be careful with MySQL. It currently supports NO transaction or concurrency control whatever. If you're good and you're careful, that's OK but you need to be aware. There are other solutions out there for about the same per seat cost that do (...) (25 years ago, 9-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact